Tuesday 1 May 2018

So ... yeah.

So, I turned 39 in March.  And I vowed I'd write a book before turning 40.  I am serious about this resolution, so I've started taking steps towards it. 

I started a small writing group with four great people (plus myself) - we meet weekly at the TRL from 6-8 on Fridays.  It helps keep me motivated and inspired, and I love the feedback I get from the super smart members of the group.

I also have started doing nightly writing prompts.  Just five or ten minutes every night has gotten me used to writing daily, as well as becoming more comfortable with writing imperfectly.  I have always been gripped with indecision about how to phrase things, and an anxiety about the words coming out all muddled.  I know that you can edit things afterwards, but that didn't make me feel better about it.  Forcing myself to churn out 5-10 minutes worth of writing a night has helped ease the fear, and now I'm much more willing to just write whatever comes to me and worry about editing later.

So I decided to show you some of these.  I'll post the prompt first, then a line, then the edited version, and lastly the original version, for those curious about how things changed.

Here's the first one.



She was convinced that she could fly, that she flew at night, and she continued to be convinced of it, though she stopped speaking of it as she grew; in fact, she ceased to speak at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


At first it was just the mornings.  Jesse looked withdrawn and sad, her shoulders slumped over her bowl of cereal.  I asked her why she was unhappy, but she always ignored me.  Then I tried to engage her with jokes.  I’m not a funny guy and my jokes were terrible.  I guess I’m not surprised she never laughed. 

And then one day I gave up.  I stopped noticing that Jesse didn’t talk.  Though I never admitted it, I liked her silence – it made her an even better listener than she used to be.  I would talk to her for hours, tell her all my secrets, knowing she’d never spread them around.  Sometimes I’d even make up outrageous stories to test how extreme a secret she was willing to keep.

And then one night I woke up from a nightmare, and Jesse wasn’t in the bed across from me.  The crescent moon hung heavy in the sky, painting the world outside our window in cool blue-grays.  I crept into the hallway searching for my strange, quiet sister.  She wasn’t there.  I crept down the stairs slowly, avoiding any sudden movement that would wake our parents sleeping in a room just down the hall. 

The front door was slightly ajar, and after passing through I was careful not to shut it all the way.  The click of the lock would be too loud in the still night.

Jesse sat on the porch, legs curled up underneath her.  She was looking at the pigeons dozing on the telephone wires strung high above the sidewalk, her head tilted back, and hair brushing her shoulders.  Her eyes were dark black pools when she turned to me and said, “I can’t reach them.  My wings aren’t working and I don’t know how to fix them.” 

The longing in her voice made my chest hurt.  I didn’t know what to say to the first words she’d spoken in months.  When she turned back to the birds, I could see something bunched under the thin white fabric of her nightshirt.  The moonlight cast its shadow on two tiny perfect wings, folded up against her shoulder blades. 

  

Original version:

At first it was just the mornings.  Jesse looked withdrawn and sad, her shoulders slumped over her bowl of cereal.  I tried to ask her why she was unhappy, but she always ignored me.  Then I tried to engage her with jokes.  I’m not a funny guy and my jokes were terrible.  I guess I’m not surprised she never laughed. 

And then one day I gave up.  I stopped noticing that Jesse didn’t talk.  Though I never admitted it out loud, I liked that she didn’t talk anymore – it made her an even better listener than she used to be.  I would talk to her for hours, tell her all my secrets, knowing she’d never spread them around.  Sometimes I’d even make up outrageous stories, testing her, pushing the boundary of just how outrageous a secret she was willing to keep.

And then one night I woke up from a nightmare when the crescent moon hung heavy in the sky.  Jesse wasn’t in the bed across from me, so I got up and crept to the hallway to search for her.  She wasn’t there.  I snuck down the stairs slowly, trying to avoid any sudden movement that will wake our parents, sleeping in a room just down the hall from the one Jesse and I share.
 
I’m careful not to shut the door all the way.  I was worried the click of the lock would be too loud in the still night.

There on the porch sits Jesse, legs curled up underneath her.  She is looking up, eyes trained on the pigeons dozing on the telephone wires strung along the sidewalk.  Her eyes are dark black pools when she turns to me and says, “I can’t reach them.  My wings aren’t working and I don’t know how to fix them.”  The longing in her voice makes my chest her.  (has actual wings).


No comments:

Post a Comment